Monday, March 15, 2010

THE R-WORD. NO, NOT RECTUM.


What if someone (a scientist, the President, the Pope, whomever) declared they had spoken to God, in person, and He told them that “we are here” simply for God’s entertainment. He laughs at us when we have wars in His name, nudges Jesus and Moses and chuckles when we deny that global warming exists, etc….
First of all, would anyone believe this person? Those who “talk to God” these days are more likely to end up in the looney bin than at a nationally-televised press conference, or have anyone except those declared to be “in a cult” actually listen to them. Then if anyone believed that this person had a convo with God, then would they believe God’s message? He LAUGHS at us?? *GASP* Our, benevolent, all powerful being LAUGHS AT US!?!

At this point, some of you guys are probably thinking, "wow, maybe Meg really is the Spawn of Satan."

No, I’m not in any way related to Satan as far as I know. If I was, I’d probably be related to Reagan, Rush Limbaugh, and Sarah Palin as well. As far as I know, they are of no kin to me, plus relatives usually don’t induce vomiting when I think of them. In fact, I may not be a very religious person, but I do believe in God. I pray every day and I don’t denounce religion. What I don’t agree with is people’s manipulation of religion in order to increase their personal wealth, status, and power. I also don’t agree with how the manipulation of religion has become the face of religion worldwide, but most dangerously in America.

I have a problem with Congressmen holding up health care claiming it’s over abortion when the language in the bill clearly prohibits federal funding for abortion (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/04/bart-stupak-abortion-lang_n_485341.html ). Roe v Wade was decided 3 decades ago. Every time a Supreme Court Justice nomination or Presidential election comes around, people question whether or not Roe v Wade is going to be overturned and its 100% a religious debate.

I most recently have a problem with evangelicals pretty much being allowed to construe the Texas public school curriculum into some far-right interpretation of the truth, eliminating even teaching about Thomas Jefferson (I wonder if his Jungle Fever for Sally Hemmings had anything to do with that……hmm) along with Enlightenment, and neglecting to include the principle of the separation of church and State, and most ridiculous, requiring teaching about the 1980s and 1990s resurgence of conservative politics, but omitting hip hop as a cultural movement. WOW. Get the full story and related info here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/13/texas-textbook-massacre-u_n_498003.html#s73766 - craziness! Even more retarded is that Democrats walked out of this meeting, further ensuring these crazies would prevail without the Dems voting. SMDH.

I have a problem with Catholic schools not allowing a student with two lesbian parents enroll because they are not in line with the teachings of the Catholic Church, but not checking to see if any other students’ parents have ever been divorced, or ever used birth control, cuz you know, those things aren’t in line with the Church’s teachings either.

The Religious Right always wants to say the Left is inflicting its morals (or lack thereof) on the rest of the country, and it is unraveling the fabric of our society and a mockery to the Christian principles that this GREAT NATION was founded on. SHAME on the LEFT!!! I guess we need to get back to the same religious principles that allowed a bunch of white men to invade already inhabited land, proclaim it to be a “discovery”, exterminate the inhabitants, bring over some new people, enslave them, declare that they should be slaves because the Bible teaches a slave to obey its master, not allow women to vote or own land because they have vaginas, etc. the list of “Christian principles” in place when this country was founded goes on and on.

Conversely, I honestly believe religion worldwide has helped way more people than it has harmed. Yes, it’s been the cause of countless wars, countless deaths, persecutions, and denial of human rights in the name of the Lord, Jehovah, Allah, etc. However, one cannot ignore the fact that religion has also spawned countless childrens’ centers, refugee camps, churches have fed and clothed innumerable amounts of people, helped to make them literate, provided help to the homeless, to college students, to every shade of human, to former drug addicts, etc. No one can deny the good that has spawned from religion over the centuries.

No one with even a Sarah Palin-sized brain would believe that war would cease to exist if there was no religion in the world. Would there be less war if religion wasn’t involved? I don’t know, we cannot change history and I’m not a fortune teller. However if you’ve seen “The Book of Eli” you may answer “yes” to my previous statement. Would there be more war and everyone would be a god-less heathen if there were no religion? Probably not. People are already heathens by nature, religion doesn’t really seem to be majorly affecting this.

If you continued reading to this point, thanks a bunch. If you still want to be my friend after reading this, double thanks. If you are nice enough to post your thoughts on the topic, triple thanks =) I always appreciate thoughtful dialogue on the topic, mainly because people are almost afraid to discuss religion, as if they are going to hell for putting into words what is already in their hearts and minds.

Peace Outside.

3 comments:

Kristerfer Burnett said...

*Standing ovation* I think you have laid out every thing I would have said about religion and war. But I think it takes the belief in something mythical and supreme to justify in your mind the killing of another human being. We never see war from the perspective of the person pulling the trigger..or from the person receiving the lead. Reminds me of one of my fav Kanye lines:

I know people wouldn't usually rap this
But I got the facts to back this
Just last year Chicago had over 600 caskets
Man, killing's some wack shit

Oh, I forgot, except for when niggas is rappin'
Do you know what it feel like when people is passing?
He got changed over his chains a block off Ashland
I need to talk to somebody pastor
The church want tithes
So I can't afford to pay
Pink slip on my door cuz I can't afford to stay
My fifteen seconds up but I got more to say
"That's enough Mr. West, please, no more today."

Anonymous said...

i think you are a very fearless person who was properly raised. i think religion has done more harm than good. it wasn't religion that helped those former addicts, it was people in the church. you could say that they wouldn't have done it if the church hadn't existed, but i think you are giving the church way too much credit.

i also find it disturbing that we talk about so many things today that center around religion, yet we have an amazing ability to act like the recent troubles in the catholic church, THE WORLDWIDE SCANDAL INVOLVING MOLESTING YOUNG PEOPLE AND ACTING LIKE IT WAS A MINOR INCONVENIENCE, never happened. we don't mention it because we don't seem to know how to process it. but if you add up all of the damage that has been done to mostly young boys, globally, by the catholic priests over the centuries (it couldn't be as systemic as it apparently is without it having started some time ago), that cancels out all of the drug rehab programs combined. that is some evil ish.

Meg O Licious said...

I think the idea of religion helps people to mobilize around a common good. Who knows if these people would have had the same actions without religion, but I do strongly feel that the church plays a vital role in beneficial social welfare activities.

The whole molestation controversy really disgusts me mainly because this is not some new, shocking allegation. It has been going on for decades, possibly even centuries and nothing has been done about it! Bill Maher said it best, "if this was a daycare, it would've been shut down immediately". I don't think any other travesty in history has gone on for so long with no one examining the cause of it or doing ANYTHING in the form of policy change to fix it. In regards to policy change, I mean changes in celibacy rules or SOMETHING. But honestly, I dont know what can be done; psychologial exams? Lie detector tests? The threat of immediate castration if you touch a kid? I dunno. Honestly, I suspect that again nothing will be done after this new "outing" of molestation scandals.